Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Meet Melisa Verrecchia, our featured student spotlight!
Melisa is a dedicated and inspiring yogi that represents All That Matters well.


What attracted you to yoga? Why did you start? After having worked in fashion in LA for 10 years, and being laid off, I had a total identity crisis. I realized I’d always been concerned with what I looked like, rather than how I felt. I needed to refocus.
Yoga provided a safe place for me to connect with myself spiritually, physically, and mentally, rather than aesthetically. On the mat, I found what made me FEEL beautiful was a peaceful heart & a quiet mind… that “inner body brightness” radiates outwardly no matter what I am wearing!

What is your favorite style of yoga: Anusara yoga truly speaks to my heart. It lifts me up! It has taught me to be grateful. It’s where I come to pray.

What other activities do you enjoy: I’m a new mom, so long walks along the wall in Narragansett with my baby, Madeline, are lovely, weather permitting. And admittedly, I’m still a fashionista at heart, so I never pass up a good shopping spree!

A great inspiring book you recommend: An Everlasting Meal :Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler has changed the way I prepare food, and inspired me to eat more vegetables. I have so much more respect for the trove of treasures this earth yields to us.

Favorite sound: Madeline’s laughter!

Least favorite sound: Her cries—they break my heart. I’m also not a huge fan of thunder.

Favorite meal: My favorite meal to eat is my own home-made basil pesto, over pasta or rice.

Favorite meal to eat: Well, I come from a big Italian family...so I am partial to my mom’s homemade pizza. It’s the BEST pizza ever. But as of late, I am also pretty obsessed with making yummy green juices for myself and baby!

Favorite place to be: Anywhere...as long as my family is with me.

What keeps you doing yoga: Yoga is the one athletic activity where I don’t feel any pressure to be better than anyone else nor to compare myself to anyone. It’s a community of people who gather together to practice rather than compete, and to encourage each other rather than compare. There are no opponents in yoga, no losers. Everyone always wins.

Advice to beginners: Laugh when you fall down. Don’t worry about being “flexible.”

What do you like best about All That Matters: Nikki Juen… the most luminous, down-to-earth goddess I have ever been blessed to meet. And the store with all of its lovely trinkets and treats!

Any other words of wisdom: Just keep learning something new everyday.

No comments: