Thursday, November 26, 2009

Healthcare Reform needs our Help
I have been one of those folks sitting on the sidelines listening to the healthcare debates with very little hope of change (even though I voted Obama). I guess the fact that I can afford insurance, albeit catastrophic only, kept me on the side line.
In early October while my husband and I were in a hotel in Florence, Italy, waiting for a taxi to take us to the airport, I fell, the taxi was canceled and an ambulance called. Off to an Italian hospital we went.
As we arrived at the hospital, we were greeted at the door by four healthcare workers, one an orthopedic surgeon. My foot was dislocated and the doctor immediately adjusted it. I was sent for x-rays. They explained them to us, showed us the break, and took time to tell us the prognosis. I was casted and re-x-rayed, and a taxi was called to send us on our way all within an hour of arrival. While waiting for the taxi, my husband realized we had not filled out paperwork, given anyone our health care card, credit card, or address. He went back and asked how to pay for the ambulance and services provided, and was told, “No charge – this is Italy,” and then with a smile, “Don’t worry, Obama is working on it!”
I returned home to have surgery and $15,000 worth of care, which included quite a bit of paperwork and patience. This experience has challenged my sideline position on healthcare. The United States is ranked 37th in world healthcare (by The World Health Organization) and is by far the most expensive. I really wish I could just sit back and believe the Italian hospital worker – not to worry, Obama is working on it – but I think he needs all our help.

Joan Dwyer

Director/ Owner of All That Matters
photo... of Joan post fall...with family

No comments: