Monday, October 03, 2011

The Importance of Awareness
I was out hiking in the woods yesterday trying to take in the fresh air and the overall fall feeling, when I noticed the cutest little purple mushroom growing out of the ground. Instead of just glancing at the mushroom and continuing on my way, I actually took a minute or two to really observe the fungi as well as my surroundings. I became fully aware of my surroundings, the mushrooms presence as well as my own. It was so small and myself so large. It thrives on light and moisture. We also need sun and water. But the special thing about seeing this mushroom (and fully appreciating its presence and how it helped me heighten my senses and feel more aware) was that the further along I walked on my hike the more and more mushrooms I spotted. It was as if the universe was rewarding me with a feast for the eyes because I put it out there that I was interested and amazed with the mushroom.

So in an effort not to ramble on too much, I hope to bring some kind of reference or conclusion to this story. And to sum it up here is a quote by Richard Miller:


"When we move in the world of senses, yet keep our senses in harmony, free from attachment to attraction or aversion, we rest in the wisdom heart of our True nature...the true equanimity of Being.." - from YOGA NIDRA.


May we take this story and apply to our own lives, whether through times of stress or peace. Being present, aware, awake, and mindful removes the "blinders" and can open your mind and heart to extraordinary experiences and opportunities; maybe with room for improvement.


If you would like to fully immerse yourself in how to really connect to your senses without going for a hike in nature, then check out our upcoming series of classes Inegrative Rest - Yoga Nidra with Kendall Sheldon. Kendall can bring you into a relaxed state and calls this class the ultimate stress buster as well as a quiet time to seek inward. Richard Miller's book is also available in our store~

No comments: